CNG is committed to helping all students develop their individual potential for excellence, and we believe character development is an integral part of this goal. At CNG, developing character for leadership and service is missional, visional, and a moral imperative.
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AT CNG
Research consistently shows that character development correlates with decreased behavior referrals, absenteeism, and bullying. Concurrently, it correlates with increased academic performance, positive school climate, and general well-being of students, teachers, and families. As a result, CNG students become not only smarter but also better people.
“Character for Life” is CNG’s cross-disciplinary and comprehensive approach that weaves character education across school life and the curriculum. Although character must be taught at school and at home every day at all times, it is purposefully planned and intentionally taught in all core content areas, athletics, and co-curricular activities.
We believe that the purposeful effort to develop character in its cognitive, psychological, and behavioral components teaches students to know, do, and love what is good. The process gets magnified when we work together as a community where students, parents, and teachers understand that we all are role models who exemplify our Core Values.
We are all teachers of character regardless of our role at CNG.
Our "Coaching the CNG Way" program has been recognized by Character.org as a Promising Practice.
Respect, Responsibility, Caring, and Integrity are CNG Core Values, and they permeate every aspect of the school.
CHARACTER EDUCATION ACHIEVEMENTS
- CNG was awarded in 2018 the Templeton Prize for Best Practices in Character Education in Latin America for its project titled: Fundación Hogar Nueva Granada.
- Character.org has awarded CNG six Promising Practices:
Character Education Task Force (2019)
Coaching The CNG Way (2019)
Condor Families (2020)
Character for Parents Planning Team (2020)
HS IMPACT Service Learning program (2022)
Proyecto Vida/Parenting for Life (2023)
- After completing a rigorous certification and evaluation process, CNG became recognized as a “Colombia 2020 School of Character” by this same organization – the first school in South America to receive this honor.
- Additionally, in May 2019, CNG was awarded the Great Place to Work® certificate for having workplace policies and practices that generate trust and organizational commitment.
- CNG will submit a Schools of Character application in the Fall of 2024 for recertification in 2025.